Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Baking

Despite working constantly, I managed to bake for Thanksgiving on Wednesday night.  I got back from my second job at around 10:15 PM and started baking.

I feel I must tell you that I had tried really hard to start baking the day before.  But I failed in a really elaborate way.  I was making sugar cookies from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, and it calls for a stick of margarine and 1/2 cup of shortening.  But because I'm overworked and overtired and it was the middle of the night, I went into my fridge drawer and took out a stick of regular, non-vegan butter.  Now, my family are not vegans, and they wouldn't care about it having animal butter, but the thing is, if I had a stick of regular butter, it's got to be at least 2 years old.  I just wasn't thinking about it.  It didn't occur to me that this was not the Earth Balance that I ALWAYS use, I just used it.  And then I made the batter and tasted it, and I was like, "WTF, this tastes gross like gross refrigerator!" and I looked at the wrapper of what I had used and sure enough, it was wicked, wicked old butter.  GROSS.  I had to throw away the batter.  I would have just started over that night, but I had used my very last 1/2 cup of shortening.  So I was just screwed and, one night and one trip to the grocery store later, started again.

As I had promised my family, I repeated my baking performance of the year before -- rosemary foccacia with plenty of caramelized shallots.  It's really great, salty bread (from Veganomicon).  The kind of thing you want to dip into olive oil.  I've made prettier loaves of it in the past, but here's a photo of my most recent loaf.

But my real achievement this holiday were the sugar cookies, which I took practically all night to cut out and decorate with pretty icing.  Here are the cookies pre-decoration:
And here's the finished product:
Cute, right?  I was awfully proud of them and I really took them on the rounds.  Delivered some to my friends who didn't have family dinners on Thanksgiving, took them to my family, then brought the rest to my retail job, where I worked on Thanksgiving night from 10 PM until 6 AM.  NOPE, not kidding about that!  So that was two nights in a row that I was up all night -- first baking, then working.  You know, I really prefer baking all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...